Question

Setting up customer.io DNS records on Godaddy, using Gmail in parallel

• 19 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi team! 

I’m having a problem getting my MX records verified.

I’m a novice at all this so hopefully what I’m asking is clear.

My domain is hosted on Godaddy, and I use Gmail to send emails (so I have gmail MX records set up on Godaddy).

When setting up customer.io to start sending emails from my domain, I followed the instructions for domain verification that are listed here: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/authentication/#faqs, and set up everything on my Godaddy DNS settings as instructed. I added MX, SPF and DKIM records in my domain DNS settings as instructed in the video in the documentation.

SPF and DKIM got verified immediately, MX hasn’t been verified in 48 hours. I checked online for similar issues but nothing came up, except for this thread:

where I found that Gmail and Customer.io should be able to run in parallel, due to the fact that I am placing the required DNS records in the account-specific subdomain, not root domain. 

I contacted Godaddy to check if I was doing anything wrong that my MX records weren’t being verified. Their support team said ”You can only connect your domain one platform at a time either you can connect the domain with google or with customer.io.” After I had introduced your documentation to them, they said: “As I have checked with my team this is not possible their MX will impact your domain MX. You need to re check with them as this is not possible.”

Could you please let me know what should I do to get my MX records verified? It has been 48h since I set them up and from what I read, it shouldn’t take more than a few hours. 

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Ann,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

We have other users who host their domains with GoDaddy and are able to successfully use Customer.io. Like the thread that you found, as we’re changing the records on the subdomain, this doesn’t affect the root domain. I’m not aware of anything that would prevent the subdomain from having separate MX records - would you be able to check with GoDaddy as to why you can’t set separate MX records on the subdomain?

Could you send through which subdomain you’re using? It might also be useful to submit a support ticket to win@customer.io so that we can take a closer look at your specific set-up.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ah, it gives me hope that other clients have successfully set it up before. 😅 GoDaddy support only told me to check with you, as in their opinion it ain’t possible. Not the most helpful support convo, that one… Thanks so much, I’ll shoot over an email to win@customer.io with screenshots.