Solved

Customer.io in-app messages take ~15sec to appear on my website.

• 29 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I’ve just implemented the in-app messages for my wordpress website. Messages appear after a user makes certain actions like pressing a button. The button click sends an event to customer.io and then through a campaign I am sending the message. The problem is that the message appears around 15 seconds after the action is performed. Is there a way to reduce this to 1-2 sec max?

Possible causes of this are also appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Mau 30 May 2023, 12:12

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3

In-app messages do take a couple of seconds to show up, the JavaScript snippet has to be initialized on page load, then it will check the browser cookies to see if it had already stored an identifier. Then it sets the Gist (our in-app message provider) user token to the identifier value and also sends a page view event. All of these things can happen in milliseconds, depending on the network speed on the client browser. Finally, Gist queries the queue its managing for your workspace and finds the message(s) to present on the screen.

We've made massive improvements in the delivery speed over the course of the past 4 months and we hope to continue finding ways to speed it up in the future. At this time, however, you can realistically expect a few seconds delay.

I hope this clarifies!

-Mau