Solved

Best way to create an Everyone Segment

• 22 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

I think I remember reading in your documentation that the way you recommend creating a Segment that contains everyone is to make a Segment of: 

attribute: created_at is a timestamp 

I notice that you’ve added a new attribute, _created_in_customerio_at

Have you deprecated the old attribute? What’s the best practice for creating an Everyone segment now? Use the new created in customerio attribute? 

Thanks, 

Toby 

icon

Best answer by Felix 22 June 2023, 07:21

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey Toby,

yes, the best way to to create such a segment is to use _created_in_customerio_at. It seems like they shut down created_at because the sample segment “Signed up” is empty now.

You can also use cio_id, id or email in combination with “exists”, but you will have to make sure that the one you choose is in every single profile. Normally everyone should have a cio_id unless you have defined something else in the API.

Hope that helps,

Felix

When did you guys deprecated created_at?? I’m pretty frustrated honestly. In your documentation, you told folks to use created_at is a timestamp to create an Everyone segment. Then you depreciate the field without letting people know?? I’m not sure, but I think this has totally messed up my onboarding campaigns for months! You should have sent several emails telling people to switch and followed up with folks who still use such a segment. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Toby,

This is Aaron from the Customer.io support team. First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated and experiencing issues with your campaigns. I'd like to provide some clarification and assistance regarding your concerns.

To begin with, I want to clarify that the created_at attribute is still a "reserved attribute" and is not deprecated. Its purpose is to represent when a customer was created in your system, and it still needs to have a value passed in, just like any other attribute value. The _created_in_customerio_at attribute is a new attribute that we generate the timestamp value for, which represents when a customer's profile was created in your workspace. Whenever you create a new profile, we save the timestamp of that creation to this attribute, which is not editable. For further information, please refer to our documentation here: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/attributes/#reserved-attributes

In summary, the addition of the _created_in_customerio_at attribute does not change anything on our side. The created_at attribute is still available for segmentation, as long as you are passing values to it when you add/update customers in your workspace.

Regarding your original question, Felix is correct that you can use created_at "exists" as a segment condition to target everyone, provided everyone in your workspace has a value for this attribute. If you need to target everyone, using cio_id "exists" would be better since everyone in your workspace has this attribute. This is because cio_id is the canonical identifier that we generate for all profiles (similar to the _created_in_customer_at attribute).

If you have any further confusion, please reach out to us directly via the support form in your Customer.io account. This way, we can understand the context of your specific questions and provide more detailed assistance. Thank you for your time, and I hope the rest of your day goes well, Toby!

Hi, 

I’m talking with my developers right now and I’m still a bit confused. I set up Customerio 4 years ago or so. We’ve never passed a value for created_at. Instead, it has always looked like it was automatically populated. When did you stop automatically generating the created_at value? 

Thanks, 

Toby 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Toby,

Thank you kindly for your reply! We’d be happy to take a closer look at your workspace with you if you don’t mind opening a ticket. That way we can be sure to have all of the pertinent account information and can look at your specific case. You can raise a ticket with our support team by visiting this link in your Customer.io account: https://fly.customer.io/journeys/?support=true

We look forward to assisting you further and helping clear up any confusion regarding this attribute.

Hi Aaron, 

Ok great, I’ll open a ticket. Thanks! 

Toby