About the new Customer.IO Data Pipelines (CDP)

• 4 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi all, I’m still a newb to all this, so probably a dumb question, but:

1. Is the new Customer.IO Data Pipelines product (announcement, docs) basically a customer data platform (another CDP acronym, doh), like Segment? If not, how would you say it situates itself in the broader market?
  2. Is it confusing to anyone else to have two CDP acronyms floating around??

TOM

2 replies

Hey Tom, 

Thanks for the question! 

Yes, the functionally of Customer.io Data Pipelines mirrors exactly what you would find in a customer data platform solution like Segment.

However, since we describe Customer.io as a customer engagement platform, we thought that it was confusing to also have a product that used “platform” in its name. Therefore, we went with the “Customer.io Data Pipelines” as the name for the product and just use CDP for short since it provides the functionality of solutions that describe themselves as a CDP.

Apologies if you thought that this was confusing. I hope that this clears things up for you. If not, please add any additional questions below. 

Jason    

Gotcha, that’s helpful, thanks!

Just n=1, but, I find it confusing because NOT calling it a “Customer Data Platform” makes me think it’s something categorically different, which I then have to research. Maybe it’s more intuitive for more advanced marketers though (especially if other CDPs have different ways of classifying themselves besides “Customer Data Platform”...do they?).

As a suggestion, maybe product 1 could remain “Customer Engagement Platform” (i.e. the Customer.IO we know and love) and product 2 could be “Customer Data Platform” (i.e. the same as all other CDPs out there), and then you come up with a new umbrella term for both platforms to unite them. Or maybe you don’t even have to do that last step, could just make “Customer.IO” the umbrella entity that offers both products.

Talk to a branding expert though! :)