Skip to main content

Hi there!

Quick context: our product helps parents raise tech-healthy kids. We send parents a weekly email report about their kids’ app and device usage. It’s often the case that both parents want to receive a copy of that email, so we are going to allow the primary account holder to specify a second email address to send the weekly report to.

My question is:

• Should we send a single copy of the email to both recipients (either both on the TO line, or one CC’d)? This is our preference, since we want to encourage family dialog, e.g. allowing one parent to reply to the other parent on the same email thread.
  • OR, should we send two separate copies of the email?

If we go with the first option, does it even work with a single “unsubscribe” button in the email? Or would that not work, since that unsubscribe button would be particular only to the primary account holder?

Thanks,

TOM

Hello divinetomedy,

the secondary email would not be possible to unsubscribe. It would also be the unsubscribe link of the primary account.

Have you considered using the “reply to” function in CIO? You could set the “other” email (primary/secondary) as reply-to address. Both would be able to unsubscribe and communicate with the other parent that way (as far as I thought it through).c

Felix

Great, thanks Felix. Makes sense about the unsubscribe limitations, so I’ll plan to send 2 copies of the email. And yes, maybe I’ll experiment with the reply-to field...creative idea, I like it. Thanks!

My two cents is that you keep it separate. I understand the preference of family dialog, but that’s tough in the email world. I feel like that dialog would make more sense somewhere in the product.

Of course, I have no idea how your product is built, so much of this may be irrelevant, but if the second parent doesn’t have an account, it would make sense to push them into an account that they can link to manage the same kids, view the reports, etc. A sensible growth tactic that I think families would convert on at a pretty high rate. 

Good luck!