Solved

Stopping a campaign

• 8 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi! I have a question about what happen to my public when I stop a running campaign. Do they continue until the end of the journey or the flow is immediatlly stoped for everybody and they no longer will recieve the following communications from the journey?

Another question is: why can't I remove an 'exit' from a campaign?

Thank you very much

icon

Best answer by SuperNat 8 March 2022, 01:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Jumping right in, I can see that you have two questions here, both of which I'm happy to speak to :)

1) What happens to customers in a campaign when the campaign is stopped?

This a great question! When choosing to stop a campaign, we actually provide you with 2 options: allow customers to finish their journeys, or exit everyone from the campaign immediately.

If you choose to allow people to finish, messages will still send if the current active profile journeys have messages on their pathway to the exit. However, no new profiles will enter the campaign, and therefore no new journeys would be created from that point forward.

If you choose to exit people immediately, then no further messages would be sent from the campaign and everyone on journeys would exit immediately.

For your reference, we cover this in detail in our documentation on stopping campaigns, which can be found here: https://customer.io/docs/campaigns-in-customerio/#stop-a-campaign

2) Why does every triggered campaign require an "exit"?

Another great question! Because campaigns are linear in Customer.io, every triggered campaign has a start (trigger) and a finish (exit). These are two points of every triggered workflow that show up in the workflow builder, however they are not removable. Again, this is because every campaign must have a start which is based on the triggering conditions you choose, and an exit where people leave the campaign at the end of their journey.

The exit of a profile from the campaign happens organically when they reach the bottom of the workflow. Some customers may get to the exit sooner than others if 1) your campaign settings tell us to exit profiles early when they don't match the trigger conditions, 2) your workflow actions have action conditions that the profile doesn't meet and therefore skips over them, 3) you stop the workflow and choose to exit everyone immediately. Another scenario may be that you have a branch that has a path that leads directly to the exit, while other paths of the same branch may take customers through message actions.

Lastly, for both event and segment triggered campaigns, profiles can re-enter them according to your trigger settings. For segment triggered campaigns, this does require them to exit first before they can re-enter. For event triggered campaigns, this allows a customer to have multiple journeys in tandem. So the paths are still linear, but customers can re-enter as needed and permitted by your trigger settings.