Solved

Coupon codes in workflow

• 8 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi, i just started working with Customer.io so am i learning to get around. :-) I want to start working with coupon codes that are unique to each customer and the individual coupon should always be updated in the contact's attribute in a specific field. 

Hopefully i understand it correctly that by adding the query collection into the workflow, and using settings as follows: Randomize results: ON, Limit to one result, Do not sort and choosing the profile attribute to which it should give each person a unique code. Which i see that it does when i preview few of the contacts and the code they have.

Each code can be used only once (used, as in within the campaign - so there can't be 2 contacts that have the same code). My question here is, that if the code is used in an email within the workflow for the 1st time, will the attribute “used” within the collection switch from 0 to 1? And will the platform know, not to use this code again?

Another question is if the second email within the workflow should also contain the code, but the one that was already sent then it should be enough for me to put into the email template this condition {{customer.[profile_attribute_with_code]}}

Hopefully my question is understandable and I will appreciate any insights and thoughts on this matter. 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Felix 9 March 2023, 07:22

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4

Hey Zuzana,

I am trying to answert your questions one-by-one:

Will the attribute “used” within the collection switch from 0 to 1?

As long as you don’t implement some kind of automatization (API call or campaign), I don’t think CIO will update your collection. In fact, CIO does not know what “unused” means because you defined that attribute yourself and as long as you don’t tell it to update this attribute it won’t. You have to find a way to update the collection based on athe ssigned Coupon Code which seems to be a bit tricky since there is no way (in my opinion) to update collections with a workflow.

And will the platform know, not to use this code again?

In case / Once you find a way to update the collection, you can filter the content in the workflow before assigning it to the person:

Another question is if the second email within the workflow should also contain the code …

Yes, you can use the code in the second email exactly the this way. The code will stay the same unless it is overwritten (e.g. because the person gets selected for the campaign a second time).

Two ideas regarding your issue:

Use a static, but cryptic Coupon Code

You can use the same code for everyone which would solve your problem. You could make it very cryptic like Y34B477C so it’s not obvious to see it is static like one that goes COUPON23. You could also make sure that coupon can only be redeemed once by the same person/email on your ecom platform.

Assign a Coupon Code to every person

You could also assign a code to every single person in your workspace and make sure every newly added person is assigned one from outside CIO. People who are not triggered by your campaign will have a code assigned but will never see and know about it. Might cause problems in the analytics though because or redeemed rate will be messed up.

Hope that helps,

Felix