Question

Adding Margin to In-App Message Display

• 31 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey there, 

I’m leveraging the “overlay” display feature for my in-app message, but I don’t love that there is no padding outside the message. 

Ideally, I could add some margin on the top and right-side to give the message some breathing room. See my mock-up below. 

Any ideas on how to achieve this? 

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey @allisonw ,

At the moment, I’m afraid the positioning of the in-app message itself is limited to Modal, Inline or Overlay, with no options for additional padding outside of the message area: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/send-in-app-message/#display-and-position

With that said, it looks like you’re working with with a web in-app message, in which case, one possible workaround would be to use the Inline option so you can position the in-app message somewhere else within the webpage. 

Sorry I don’t have better news for you here but I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, @Penny!

I haven’t found much documentation on in-line displays. Do you have any examples or additional resources on how to set them up?

Userlevel 4

Hi @allisonw it might be worth chatting to your web designer/developer on this if you’re planning to use inline as you provide the id of an element that you want to replace with your message:

Your web developer or designer would be able to provide you with the element ID when you work with them on where or how you would like the in-app message to appear or if it’s near another element. 

For example, if you wanted to highlight a new button on your website, you could place an empty placeholder element with an ID directly below the new button and use your message to replace to the empty element and highlight to your button.