Solved

Best way to handle Notification Settings

• 22 May 2023
  • 3 replies

We’re looking to design Notification Settings with 3 categories. We want to make sure users can enable/disable EMAIL or PUSH notifications for each of the 3 categories. 

Whats the best way to handle this? Is this a use case for `Objects`? The Subscription center doesn’t really allow us to fine-tune these settings. 

icon

Best answer by Felix 23 May 2023, 08:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey Rushil,

I don’t think you need Custom Objects here. You can either

1. indee use the subscription center
  2. simply use your own attributes.

Subscription center

When sending out campaigns, the subscription center works kind of an additional filter so you could use this option to “filter” your campaigns. The subscription center was build to filter more by topics than channels, but you can still do this workaround.

Own attributes (recommended)

You can also create your own attributes of a boolean type (true/false) for this, e.g. email_optin, push_optin and filter every and each campaign and broadcast based on that attributes. Also you will have to make sure to give your users the option to opt in and out (at least in your app) and to update the information in CIO once they do.

Hope that helps,

Felix

Thank you so much @Felix ! This makes sense. We were planning to achieve the same with customerIO by using it as a proxy to the frontend so that customers can see their settings enabled/disabled directly.

I noticed that there is no endpoint to READ a customer’s data in Customer.IO, is that intentional? How do I read the existing customer information? 

Userlevel 4

Hey Rushil,

in case you are reffering to a landing page, check out this tutorial in the knowledge base. In case you are talking about your app, I am afraid I can’t really help you since I have no experience with building something like this in an app 🙂

Felix