Question

Add the traffic source to leads/users

• 14 December 2023
  • 2 replies

I’ve come over from using Hubspot to manage leads and customers. One of the things I’m missing in customer.io is the traffic source for the leads that sign up to our SaaS app.

I want to know if a signup came from a search engine, a website referral, an ad campaign, social media, newsletter, direct, or something else.

I can’t find any discussion about how to pass this data to customer.io since I don’t think it has that capability.

Anyone else have this requirement or anyone have any suggestions on how to tag a signup in customer.io as coming from a particular traffic source?

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey Oldmillennial, 

interesting request. I just checked the GA integration, but it seems like this is not possible with it. 

I am not technically an expert in this, but I think I have two ideas here:

a) somehow access the data stored in the GA cookie

b) I have seen websites where they add utm parameters after the url once you clicked their websites link on Google. From there it would be easy to pass the parameters over to the signup data. I am not sure how this method is called, though. 

Hope that helps, 

Felix

Hi Felix, thanks for the suggestion. When in preview mode in Google Tag Manager, I’m seeing a Referrer variable showing the HTTP Referrer information as an output of the GTM tag. I wonder if it’s possible for a developer to access that data and push it to customer.io ?

I’ll update here if it’s possible.