Question

Formatting problem with transactional emails when viewed in Gmail

• 16 October 2023
  • 4 replies

We are experiencing a major issue with all transactional emails from customer.io. Every email that is displayed through gmail web app, is broken from styling perspective. This is happening in every environment (prod/dev) and we discovered it yesterday (Saturday) throughout the development of transactional emails, for the translation feature.Last working emails we have are from Thursday. So there is a possible break that started from Thursday (eod) - Friday.

The issue is happening only in gmails that are displayed through gmail web app. Gmails that are displayed though an external program or emails from different domain (outlook, yahoo etc) are working as expected.From yesterday, we have been into a series of steps to investigate that and find the root cause.

We determined that there is no change in any email, from any person and no change in code from the dev side.

Also, there isn't any issue with gmail web app, because it displays a transactional template as expected if its sent straight from another email and not through customer.io.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? 

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @Chronos 

I believe you’ve also written to our Support Team directly with a similar question and our team will work with you to resolve this there! 

I’m having the same issue. How do I resolve this?

Hi! We’re having a similar issue. Is there any update?

Userlevel 4

We made a code change recently that might affect templates on how disable_css_preprocessing is handled when the parameter is not passed in the payload or set in the template. We're very sorry about that and the impact it had on you, if this is the case. 

We recommend to try sending a test without css pre-processing enabled, by passing the parameter disable_css_preprocessing and setting it to true to see if this helps to resolve the issue: https://customer.io/docs/transactional-api/#list-of-supported-parameters