Solved

Replicating a Look-up Function for Drip Campaign

• 25 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Because of our account set-up, we have different customer ids with the same email address. I know this is not efficient, but fixing this has not been a priority. Additionally, for other business-related reasons, we cannot merge them.

There are multiple opt-in points on our website to a newsletter, and people are often signing up in multiple places. 

We are building a drip welcome campaign for new subscribers. 

The problem is that, since multiple IDs exist for some subscribers, multiple drip campaign emails can initiate per email address.

I’ve created a delay and a batch update in the drip campaign that tags any other concurrently created ids as having already been treated with the drip campaign. This will take care of someone who signs up once on one page and and then 5 minutes later on another.

What I don’t know how to deal with is someone who comes back a few weeks later and signs up again (believe it or not, this happens regularly). They’ll have a new ID and the concurrent batch update will not handle this case.

Ideally, I could call a lookup function that searches to see if a customer already exists with the same email address whose ‘received-drip-campaign’ attribute is “true.” If that is true, then they should not receive it again. 

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Penny 25 August 2023, 08:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey Jeremy,

It might be possible to achieve this by using Webhook Actions to first call this API endpoint to look for a list of customers in your workspace who have the same email address: https://customer.io/docs/api/app/#operation/getPeopleEmail. With this, you will get a list of the IDs with the same email address, and you can use this API endpoint to look up the other profiles’ attribute:  https://customer.io/docs/api/app/#operation/getPersonAttributes so that you can use it to determine whether the new profile should continue on in the drop campaign. 

​I hope this helps to get you moving along in the right direction! But please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. 

Hi Penny, thanks for the reply. As stand alone solutions, these make sense and I’ve set them both up in the same campaign. How do I get the output from one API call to become the input into the second API call?