Solved

Recommended way to create conversational flows

• 17 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Is there a recommended way to create conversational flows with whatsapp/SMS where a user can answer and receive a response like an initiated conversation?

I know that customer.io is not for this use case, but is there a external tool recommended for doing this?

icon

Best answer by Felix 23 April 2024, 03:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hey Tomas,

the best option to use WhatsApp with CIO is Twilio in my opinion. It is natively integrated. With Twilio Studio you can set up very indepth flows and Twilio is also using Liquid for personalization. I have done flows myself in Twilio Studio for WhatsApp including Content templates.

Here some resources:

Twilio Studio Use Case using WhatsApp

CIO Docs regarding Twilio WhatsApp

Other tools I know and might be helpful are Messagebird or Sinch, but you will have to connect them via API or the CDP.

Let me know if you need any further input. I am happy to help.

Felix

Hi Felix, my questions goes more around the conversation dynamic. For example, I send a campaign triggered whatsapp to a user. Then the user answer, how do I manage that reply from the user with customer.io (ideally) ?

Userlevel 4

Hey Tomas, 

I don't think you can built up campaigns for a conversational flow. CIO is built (regarding Wahtsapp) to send one way communications, in this case the initial trigger. Everything else (the conversation) should better be handled by Twilio or whatever provider you use, because CIO is not getting back the responses form the user.

You can send responses from the user via Twilio Studio http request (in this case a webhook) to CIO to move forward in a workflow. Other providers will most likely have similar features.

With this workaround you could use webhooks in CIO in order to send and receive responses and create a conversation this way in a workflow, but it will be more complex and still would require the providers features.

This would be actually an awesome feature request! Handle responses. @Customer.io