Solved

People in multiple campaigns

• 11 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Is there a good solution for managing people in multiple campaigns?

Our purchase cycle is very long (real estate) with multiple funnels. Occasionally we will send someone from one funnel into another. For example, we send some of our partial sign up’s (abandon basket equivalent) which I will call campaign 1 to our instant valuation tool which I will call campaign 2. Both are event driven and both have the same goal (to book in a home valuation). 

I need to make sure that those people who are in the in campaign 1 stop recieving emails from that campaign and only receive emails from campaign 2 so we don’t over communicate. BUT, here’s the tricky part — the business still needs to know if the people in campaign 1 have a goal conversion even if they completed the goal via campaign 2 so I cannot just exit them.

Has anyone managed to overcome this challenge? 

icon

Best answer by Jordan 12 August 2023, 02:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @SammyLoveridge,

Campaign conversion goals aren’t actually tied to an active journey. They are time-bound and related to deliveries with the campaign (https://customer.io/docs/journeys/campaign-conversions/#conversion-timing

So for example, a goal could be for the customer to enter a segment or perform an event within 90 days of clicking an email from the campaign. The workflow could be as short as sending one message and there could still be a conversion applied if the person performed the conversion goal within the time frame.

For campaigns like you’re speaking of, our customers generally have a Segment membership filter applied on each campaign, along with the exit condition “They achieve the goal or they stop matching the trigger segment or filters”. So if a person is in Segment A to begin Campaign A, but later joins Segment B, you could make them exit Campaign A with the filter “not in Segment B”.

Does that all make sense?

Userlevel 1

For campaigns like you’re speaking of, our customers generally have a Segment membership filter applied on each campaign, along with the exit condition “They achieve the goal or they stop matching the trigger segment or filters”. So if a person is in Segment A to begin Campaign A, but later joins Segment B, you could make them exit Campaign A with the filter “not in Segment B”.

@Jordan, just came across this suggestion. It’s very helpful as I never thought about using filters for such purposes. Thanks for that!

The only open question I now have is how to best segment people that are currently in one campaign. Is such a direct filtering option (e.g. “currently in campaign A”) on the roadmap somehow? I know that there are workarounds, e.g. segmenting on messages being sent in the campaign, or setting attibutes when entering and exiting a campaign, but it’s far from convenient and covering all cases, e.g. of campaigns who are consisting of other actions than messages. Any ideas?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @digitalisierungsprofi 

Yes that is an open feature request, and one that would resolve a few sharp edges of setting up messaging journeys on the platform. I’m adding an upvote there referencing your comment in this post.

What you mentioned is basically the best practice at this time, we usually say that you can use a Manual Segment, or set and remove an attribute value, at the beginning and end of a journey to mark a person’s journey in a specific campaign. I’m hopeful, and fairly certain, that we will implement a solution for this — as I know it would eliminate a lot of complexity around managing/mitigating overlapping campaign journeys. However, we don’t have an ETA on that, so keep your eyes peeled on the release notes and our public roadmap (linked on that same page). 

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Jordan for your swift reply! Love this community, and that you are participating as well 😀

Sure, I’m closely following release notes and roadmap anyway. In the meantime I will also try the approach with adding and removing to manual segments, which is maybe even easier then setting attributes as this clutters customer attribute data.