Solved

Double opt-in

• 15 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Can anyone advice? I've read a documentation for Double opt-in and I still don't understand how do I get unique URL. Can it be generated within customer.io? 

icon

Best answer by Penny 16 January 2024, 06:27

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @Iva

I believe you might be referring to this particular documentation: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/double-opt-in/#introduction

In this case, the URL is not generated by Customer.io, we recommend that you can use any URL for the link, as we’ll track the clicks on a link matching a specific URL. Make sure it’s a unique URL either by creating a dedicated page to link to, or by adding a URL variable such as ?double_optin=true to the URL.

This could be a landing page on your website that thanks your recipients for opting-in for example. 

Hopefully this helps to clarify! 

:) <3>

:) s

Hello Penny, thanks a lot. But I thought unique link means that I need to add something like customer's ID to that link, so it's definitely unique. Or it can be just one URL and customer.io can pair it with customer's e-mails? I'm sorry, I don't understand it.

Userlevel 4

Hey @Iva23,

Ahhh! Sorry I didn’t quite understand that. A unique link in this case just needs to be a dedicated link for this purpose because for example, if your email includes a link to your website in the email footer for example, to www.mywebsite.com. Then, this link shouldn’t be used to track the double opt-in, as it is not unique (the only one) in that email.

There could be a possibility that people might just want to visit your website (and not actually do the double opt-in) and we wouldn’t want to falsely track them as such when we build the segment to track the link clicks to the specific URL.

Unless you use a URL parameter like www.mywebsite.com/?double_optin=true. This makes the link unique, then we can build the segment out like this:

Otherwise, we would recommend building out a separate page with its own link for this purpose. Let me know if this helps to clear things up in this regard? ◡̈