Solved

Events tied to Objects

• 3 July 2023
  • 3 replies

We have a fintech B2B SaaS solution. Each customer (company) can have multiple users associated with it. Each user can perform actions on behalf of the company.

Customer.io’s new “Object” feature seems to be ideal for associating multiple users (“people”) with a single company (“objects”).

That said, how do we associate events with objects, instead of with people? Here are some use-cases that I’d like to achieve.

Use-case 1: Person acting on behalf of company

ACME Inc. has three users, John, Sarah, and Mara. Sarah updated their company profile, John created a digital invoice, and Mara accepted an invite to manage the company’s account. These are three distinct events tied to three distinct users, but all tied to the same one company. For all three events, I would like to trigger a notification to all of the company’s users. How do I achieve this?

Use-case 2: Company-level events not triggered by a person

Our SaaS solution has automated/scheduled events on the company-level (i.e. not tied to a person). For instance, everyday, our system settles funds into a company’s account. I’d like to create an event for this that we can use in our campaigns. Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by Mau 4 July 2023, 11:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Don,

Assigning events to objects is not currently an available feature within the application. However, we do have an open feature request for this that I have upvoted on your behalf.

In the meantime, make sure to keep an eye on our release notes at https://customer.io/docs/release-notes/. That's where we'll announce any new features, including the one you're interested in, as soon as they're ready.

-Mau

Thank you for the response Mau!

Are there any suggestions of alternative ways of achieving the above two use-cases? I’ve considered two paths:

1. Create a “People” record for each company.

This way, we can track events belonging to a company.

2. Clone company-wide events under each user

So in the above example, if John creates a digital invoice, we will create three “Create invoice” events under John, Sarah, and Mara.

I have a similar issue as this, essentially need a way to message everyone at a company