Solved

Anonymous id and Identify call

• 12 April 2023
  • 1 reply

I would like to use Segment to push data into CIO. For anonymous user, Segment creates an anonymous id that it will associate to unknown users in CIO. So when the user is identified, what happens to that anonymous id? Is it overwritten by the new CIOid or does it stay with the user profile? Ideally I would like to create segments targeting the anonymous users. If you could, please include any caveats that I may need to consider. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Mau 13 April 2023, 12:22

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3

Hey there!

When you use Segment to send data into CIO, if an anonymous user gets identified, the anonymous ID created by Segment usually gets linked to the user profile in CIO. This means the anonymous ID gets replaced by the new CIO ID, and the user's data gets associated with the identified user profile in CIO.

This can affect how you create segments targeting anonymous users, as the anonymous ID may no longer be available for targeting once the user is identified. Keep in mind that this behavior may vary depending on how your integration between Segment and CIO is set up. It's a good idea to review the specific documentation and settings for your integration to understand how this process works in your case.

One thing to consider is that handling of anonymous IDs and identified user profiles can impact the accuracy and reliability of your segments. For example, if you create a segment targeting anonymous users, and some of these users are later identified and their anonymous IDs are replaced with new CIO IDs, they may no longer be included in the original segment. This can result in changes to your segmented users and potentially affect how effective your targeting efforts are.

It's important to carefully think about how the handling of anonymous IDs and identified user profiles aligns with your specific use case and business requirements when using Segment to send data into CIO.

For more information, you can refer to the following documents: