Solved

Backfilling event to create Object relationship, can we do that?

• 26 March 2023
  • 3 replies

With the introduction of Companies in customer.io, I’ve currently implemented Segment Action that allow group calls to happen in customer.io that will help establish the Object relationships. However, this is only applicable to new and future users/companies only. 

Is there a way for me to backfill the relationships based on event? Or is there another recommended way for us to do? 

I’m currently following this documentation here: https://www.customer.io/docs/uploading-people/#import-events to import my events. But the relationship still won’t be established after I tried importing a few users. 

For my use case, I need to establish company relationships for past users AND also pass company-level traits that belong to attributes under certain events. (That’s why I used the importing event functions).

icon

Best answer by debbie_otua 27 March 2023, 14:46

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @yixuan_loh 

Thanks for asking this question! :)

We do support backfilling Group calls from Segment. The only thing to keep in mind are the relationships that these Groups (Objects in Customer.io) are associated with. If we have Customer.io segments that have conditions on whether a relationship exists, we don't check for when the relationship is created. So, people related to these backdated objects irrespective of when the relationship is created will enter the segments and trigger any associated campaigns.

I hope that’s helpful!

Hi @yixuan_loh 

Thanks for asking this question! :)

We do support backfilling Group calls from Segment. The only thing to keep in mind are the relationships that these Groups (Objects in Customer.io) are associated with. If we have Customer.io segments that have conditions on whether a relationship exists, we don't check for when the relationship is created. So, people related to these backdated objects irrespective of when the relationship is created will enter the segments and trigger any associated campaigns.

I hope that’s helpful!

Hey there, could you share with me how to implement this? 

Also I read somewhere that if the relationship established is within 72 hours, the segment of users will trigger the campaign. And if it’s more than 72 hours, they will not. 

Does the same apply here?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @yixuan_loh 

Sure! You can do this via our API, our Web SDK, or our Segment integration. Either of these options will allow you backfill these events. I’ve also linked more info about this here which contains a sample API call. 

To answer your second question, this does not apply here so you’ll want to ensure that the people related to the backfilled objects will not trigger campaigns they are not supposed to be in by using a campaign filter.

Hope that helps!