Tutorial

How to automatically send communications on a specific day of the month

• 7 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Are you tired of manually sending communications on specific days of the month? Look no further! In this post, I will share a simple and effective way to automate your messages.

To do so, you’d need to combine a campaign triggered by an Important date and an API-triggered broadcast. Don't worry, it's easier than it sounds! Here's how:

Step 1. Add a date attribute to a test profile.

Create a date-time attribute corresponding to the day of the month you want to send communications on. For example, if you want to send a promotion on day 20 of every month, create an "important_date_trigger" attribute with the value formatted in Unix timestamp. You can easily obtain this value using  Epoch Converter.

S7noWLIK9A1iWz25SQKVbry21ARpQo6t1DwO-BL8vdsanRKQZMGc3JNzqA-yx1HwSYblNXGzycQqLTeceGRcMbrTziIOg9z5ZrrLbufoY8eI1bNI7n3CRF753QON_N2qP67p4qfwCaZAbun_ELjXyX4

Step 2. Set up a campaign triggered by an Important date.

It's as easy as that! Use the attribute you created in Step 1 to trigger a campaign with the following settings:

• Trigger campaign: On the date.
  • Frequency: Monthly.

Vtab89w_H8BLp3wGIH4UkKjlbL9zfAcimsknO6qGmQkH8MT1XYXfpSOTVWPWZVsMco94uCTC9jdDoDEXruIaV-QzAKeBDtqF3ruLC4ZGEKiHsNxkMTzZ50ft5ijPAmSUb5V5iQz5wpzIRmiuN3AVqzk

The campaign will only have one action - “Send and Receive Data” data action. This action is a webhook that will send a call to trigger a broadcast in Journeys.

PbaBsClavRfwRSGutbJ4CbKPzwvRcJg58fJaVe8XmQ_pR5q9Crvs6upHFJ9rChyvnN0Y0mll_twp6rcsEEX2jsQPlnuzE8Lmb5lu17pcd-_XlZiLx0E4zcgTLC3LxAz5pLu1SJ2QHSGC8DYtOePO_r0

Inside, the action will send a post request to trigger a broadcast. You’d need the broadcast ID that you will get when setting up a broadcast in Step 3.

Rhg9bYhFSFFDtI9qO1w5MWMP-OG9EcWAk9TpzQNY9SJJ-4ZBX2Q9Rb3phKHSdt4BoXZeusfHRZ3OB6OKpWMoOPaCVnqntSWGQTnYW3h8dxwXKd5E0LW5Y6ENUluR39lYM1ETumm0xAX4_FodkYuiw_E

tYaPjm1y5166a02uukJtEHxN-DhjwPUhz6OPtd_XUjbfPunRscYHPlCTXF21ogMIgVXmz_28salZKIcQ1SI_qxDHMpjp4cKvFsxnuh1hieuPJjvCeD66PxfA_07GXjSpk3AB9fA_FgkEVMLA308MWfc

Step 3: Set up an API-triggered broadcast.

This broadcast will send your messages to your recipient list Follow our step-by-step instructions to create this broadcast. You will be able to select your recipient list from segments and add your content. Be sure your segment includes an engagement filter so you don’t negatively impact deliverability. 

dLtU34FITP8aOSTZx2VkBrznnJrIQXoUtYqDorBcZfj1bCruFzGNSyHHv_EYRQh9PPWCyEtAHmdnAsA3LKxTB5M_PZGvmyDlc0X3p4IkzFcYIYOV76uYiHGJFRlNL28D3LCy1YhzUxB_C8vCC_Rkzuk

And that's it! Campaign #1 will trigger on the 20th of every month and send an API call to trigger your broadcast. You can sit back and relax, knowing your communications are being sent automatically.

I hope that this recipe will be helpful in streamlining your communication process and saving you time. If you have any questions or concerns, leave a comment below. Happy automating!

6 replies

Pretty cool, are these only sent on the nth day of the month? Or is it also possible to configure to send on, for example, the second Tuesday of every month?

Badge

Hey @boostmyemail Thank you for your feedback.
I don’t think it’s possible with campaigns triggered by an Important Date.

I’d think about a recurring campaign, launched on a Tuesday and then using frequency settings or Time Delays/Time Windows.

Or, it could be more efficient to schedule/send newsletters instead.

Let me know your thoughts!

Userlevel 1

@Elena thanks for your tutorial! It’s a great thing to know and useful for certain cases to be able to use c.io’s own API via webhooks inside a campaign to do fancy stuff which is only available via API not and not (yet) via the user interface.

Nevertheless, I was wondering why you are not directly composing the email as part of the campaign workflow in your example? What are your thoughts behind? Email content inside the campaign can also be changed even if the campaign is running. Maybe I’m missing something.

Badge

Hey @digitalisierungsprofi thank you for checking the article and for your question. It made me understand that it was not clear.

The reason I’m not sending emails via the campaign is that to do so I need all the profiles to have that timestamp attribute. For some companies it could be an easy task while for others with less technical resources available, my way would be beneficial as it requires only one profile with a timestamp attribute to trigger a campaign that will send an API call. That API call will trigger a broadcast that can be sent to your target audience regardless having that timestamp attribute.

Also, campaigns are not designed to send communications to many people at once. They are automated flows triggered when people meet certain criteria. 

A broadcast is a message or workflow that you trigger (or schedule) for a group of people so it’s better suited for our use case.

I hope it makes sense!

Userlevel 1

@Elena it totally makes sense now. I did miss the point that this timestamp attribute was set up for only one user, and not all users later in the process. And I now see that you don’t want to have individual timestamps for each user but one that will trigger the broadcast for your whole audience. 

Badge

@digitalisierungsprofi awesome! Thank you for the opportunity to clear it out!