Solved

In-App Message Issue: The status of my messages are “Sent”, but the message never show up in my app.

• 25 May 2023
  • 1 reply

I have the script on my web site and mobile app, and I am identifying people, but I noticed that no in-app messages I send are being received. They say “Sent” but they are not showing up. I’m struggling to understand what I’m doing wrong.

icon

Best answer by Maddie 25 May 2023, 02:23

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hello @mcc

I’m very happy to help here!

If all of the setup steps have been followed (our mobile or web SDK is initialised and you're identifying a profile with our SDK), your in-app messages are likely not arriving due to a misalignment with the target audience (the To: field in your in-app message composer) as mentioned here.

Here's a little breakdown of how the identify call works in our SDK, and how that correlates to the target audience:

In single-identifier (id only) workspaces The identify call will always be assigning a value to the id profile attribute. So your target audience should be {{ customer.id }}.

In multi-identifier (id and email) workspaces The syntax of your identify call matters:

• On our mobile SDKs... When you pass an email address in the identifier argument of the identify function (like so — CustomerIO.shared.identify(identifier: "email@example.com")), your target audience should be set to {{ customer.email }}, otherwise, if it is not an email address, your target audience should be set to {{ customer.id }}
  • On the web SDK... When your identify call looks like this _cio.identify({email:"email@example.com"}) it's not actually reaching Customer.io because the function is incorrectly formatted. If we correct the syntax to _cio.identify({id:"email@example.com"}) then your target audience should be set to customer.email, otherwise. If you make a call like this _cio.identify({id:"abc123", email: "email@example.com"}) then your target audience should be set to {{ customer.id }} (using {{ customer.email }} will not work here).

So, you may need to look over your implementation of our SDKs to see how you're currently identifying your customers with our SDK, and then set the target audience accordingly.

Please come back if you need anything clarified or have further questions! :)

- Maddie