Solved

Best way to send custom recommendations to segment

• 28 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I’m trying to automatize recommendation emails that would be sent to a segment. The recommendations (a list of urls and labels) are unique for each user, computed by my application and will be send to Customer.io though the API in order to be sent by email. I’m wondering what is the best way to do that.

So far I have two ideas :

1. Foreach user, compute recommendations, send an event with an array of urls/labels in event data, add a campaign triggered by this event and filtered by my segment, loop in the email template on event data.
  2. Foreach user, compute recommendations, update a person attribute with an array of uls/labels through the API, create a broadcast using my segment and loop on urls/labels from customer attribute, send it using the API.

Both approches are similar, send custom recommendations in events or in persons updates. What do you thing about theses ? I fear the large number of API calls (~10k users), are we limited ? Is there a better way to achieve that ? Should I use CSV import instead ?

icon

Best answer by Ramy 28 April 2023, 12:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there!

Thank you for posting to the Customer.io Community, we’re sure happy to help you here!

When it comes to the choice between sending your data to Customers’ profiles, or as events, it is important to consider the future use for that data, too. For your use case here, I imagine those recommendations will be sent for that one message, and when it’s time to send a similar message in the future, you’ll be computing new recommendations to send. For this reason, I believe using events is the better option here.

To address your API Limits concerns, I would start by mentioning that since both Profile Attribute updates and Sending Events use our Track API, you would have to work under the same limits in both cases. That said, with our track API limit at 100 requests per second, and your customer base at around ~10k profiles, that should not be difficult to orchestrate within our API Limits, in my opinion. :)

I hope this is helpful to your question, team! Please let us know if you need help with anything else here.

Best,

Hi Rami,

Thanks for your response, you helped me in my choices. You understood properly, recommendations are sent for one time use and will be different for the next email. I will go for events.

However, I just red your documentation about CSV import of events and I thing I will try to use it to avoid to deal with rate limit. I like the idea of sending all my recommendations in once.