Solved

In-email popup forms to trigger events and/or campaigns

• 2 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

I want to build a user invitation/referral MVP without hosting any feature on our platform but rather leveraging on customer.io to do so.

When sending emails to our current customers, we’d like to embed a CTA in our email that opens a popup (or a form) to collect a referred user email (and, optionally, other info such as name and surname). That popup/form would then be integrated to customer.io to trigger an invitation email dispatched to the referred user.

Is this doable 100% via customer.io or I need a third-party application to host my form/popup? Ofc, I would strongly prefer the first. In the docs, I read about custom JS forms but I wonder whether I can embed/use this directly in my email HTML.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Dario

icon

Best answer by Penny 3 August 2023, 07:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @dpren90 , in this case we would recommend would be to use one of our compatible form providers here for your form: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/connected-forms/#form-providers as we don’t currently have a native form feature within Customer.io.

With regards to your idea about using a custom JS form, the tricky thing about custom JS forms is that they cannot be directly embedded in emails. Email clients typically do not support JavaScript due to security and privacy concerns. Many email providers and clients, such as Gmail, Outlook, and Apple Mail, disable JavaScript execution to prevent potentially harmful code from running.

In this case, the custom JS form would still have to be hosted on your website for example. 

Hopefully this helps to clarify but feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! 😊

Userlevel 4

Hey Dario,

I would suggest you work with a CTA button and a landing page with a form instead of the popup. Popups are not supported (as Penny already mentioned).

Hope that helps,

Felix

Hi @dpren90 , in this case we would recommend would be to use one of our compatible form providers here for your form: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/connected-forms/#form-providers as we don’t currently have a native form feature within Customer.io.

With regards to your idea about using a custom JS form, the tricky thing about custom JS forms is that they cannot be directly embedded in emails. Email clients typically do not support JavaScript due to security and privacy concerns. Many email providers and clients, such as Gmail, Outlook, and Apple Mail, disable JavaScript execution to prevent potentially harmful code from running.

In this case, the custom JS form would still have to be hosted on your website for example. 

Hopefully this helps to clarify but feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! 😊

@Penny @Felix  thanks a lot. From your experience, is there any of the listed form providers you’d recommend? My use case needs a very basic form with just email, name and surname fields (we want to trigger an email invitation once the form is filled and sent). Thus, cost-effectiveness and simplicity are the key evaluation criteria over feature richness.

Thanks a lot!
Dario 

Userlevel 4

Hey Dario,

if you have wordpress, check out Elementor forms and “Actions after submission”.

Also, check out typeform’s webhooks feature or Joform WebHooks.

Best,

Felix

Userlevel 4

Hi Dario,

One other option could be to build your own custom HTML form on your own landing page,  which should be relatively straightforward for your web designer.

With this, you can use the Custom Form Javascript snippet to connect it to Customer.io: https://customer.io/docs/journeys/connected-forms/#js-snippet